Sunday, January 25, 2009

Waiting for the Garbage


A friend of mine went to see Seinfeld on Friday night and told me about some of his favorite Seinfeld jokes of the evening:

"All the stuff we buy is just waiting for the garbage."

About it Seinfeld said something like:

"We buy something and put it on the table. It sits there waiting for the garbage. One day we say I don't like it there anymore and put it in the closet. It sits in the closet waiting for the garbage. Next we move it to the garage, which is just a big holding place for garbage."

Maybe I needed to be there, but this strikes me as more profound than funny. I'm looking at my stuff differently. I have an HP LaserJet 3100 sitting on my desk waiting for the garbage. It's a perfectly good printer, but the USB is no longer compatible with new technology. I've used it for copies, but now it's out of ink and I don't plan on buying another cartridge. And there it sits.

I'm consider myself really good at not having a lot of excess stuff; yet when I walked through my house this morning, I found loads of stuff in purgatory waiting for its final resting place. Without even hitting the garage, an iomega hard drive back up thingy, a VCR, a lovely wooden box, and a set of jacks, hand clappers, and bubbles left over from Tuesday night's party winked at me and whispered, "I know you're stalling."

What's whispering to you?

No comments: